Hey Y'all

Welcome to Lauren's Lone Star Mission Blog. We'll do our darndest to keep y'all up to date. Please visit often for the latest news.

04 January, 2011

This Week In My Life!

Hey family!! How are you?!

So... lots has happened this week! I ventured to the outside world! Don't worry, it was totally legal. My companion has had this weird eye thing going on the past few days and my foot went numb! So, they let us go to the doctor. We went to the BYU Health Center which is just down the street but it brought back some memories! My comp had some tissue buildup in her eye (gross!) and I had the equivalent of carpal tunnel in my foot! Weird, huh? I guess it's caused by the way I've been sitting in my desk and stuff... so the doctor said that I need to use a hot compress 3 times a day and also take aleve twice a day because it's an anti-inflammatory. I also can't run for about a week until the skin on my foot is no longer numb. So... that's lame. But oh well. Anyways... for my companion's eye thing we went even further into the outside world and ventured down North Canyon Road (away from my apartment) and went to the eye doctor. It was SO weird!! There was really Babylonian music playing in the waiting room! And at first I ticked because it was the kind of garbage mom likes to listen to (I love you!!! Just kidding!... But it really was that kind of music) and then they started playing some cooler stuff. I probably shouldn't have been listening... but I did. And on the plus side I was also reading my Spanish Book of Mormon. When we walked in, it was funny because a man standing at the counter said, "It looks like we've got some sister missionaries here!" and I was like... oh yeah! I'm a sister missionary! Weird! And in the real world there aren't a thousand of us at every turn. We stand out and stuff! Well... I was sitting there all alone without my companion and just studying and I realized what a crappy Missionary I was being!! So, I decided I needed to better fulfill my purpose and invite someone to come unto Christ. I was SO NERVOUS! But there was this really nice couple sitting next to me, so I started talking to them about stuff. And it turns out they were working on submitting their mission papers! He works in the BYU Library and they were so sweet! So we talked for a bit and I tried my hardest to emit the light of Christ and love them and be a good example and stuff... and I hope they felt it! By the time we left I felt so much love for those two people! Even though I didn't leave them a commitment... I know I left them happier by the end of our conversation and feeling the love of God a little more in their lives.

So... I think the biggest lesson the Lord is teaching me this week is HUMILITY! Oh my goodness... being humbled by the Lord is probably the hardest thing to endure! It all started when my teacher had us practicing door contacting. Because my comp and I were at the doctor, we missed when he taught us how and all the practicing earlier... so we were kinda just thrown into the situation. He said that if he felt the spirit that he would let us in. So... my comp and I tried. And we tried. And we tried. And we tried... at least 10 times! And not once did he let us in! I was crushed! My whole world was shattered and I felt like a failure. So of course, I broke down and cried... because it's me. And my teacher freaked out. Haha! He pulled me out of class and talked to me about it. And while we talked I expressed all of my feelings about everything and he tried to lift my spirits a little bit and told me to be more genuine. He told me to use my gifts and talents to build others up. And I just couldn't figure out how! And so the next few days I was in a funk. :( I was trying hard to be happy and cheerful, but I really just felt so inadequate. Then I talked to my teacher again and he showed me some scriptures, one of which is in Philippians 4:12... or vs. 18. I can't remember. But it's about being able to do all things through Christ or something like that. And he also told me that I need to be humble. This isn't about how good I am at something or about how much I can do. It's all about the people and being able to do things through the Lord. Anyways... I spent a lot of time thinking about that. And then I read the talk by President Benson titled "Beware of Pride" and it hit me hard! I had been spending so much time trying to look good to other people and trying to be the smartest and the best and the most spiritual and in doing that I wasn't focusing on just lifting up the people around me. I wasn't focused on trying my hardest to uplift my district or the people I was teaching. I wanted to be a great teacher and be a great companion and do all the right things... but for completely the WRONG reasons. So... I had a LOT of repenting to do! My companion and I spent time changing the way we do companionship study and changing our motivations... and it's been working!! We have become more effective teachers! We have been able to meet the needs of those we teach! I've been nicer because I'm no longer focused on myself! I am really trying to only think about how I can help others. So... this week I commit all of you who are reading this to read the talk "Beware of Pride" by President Benson. Read it and apply it to your life. Do all you can to build up those around you! Because I KNOW it will make you happy. If you are disatisfied with something in your life... humility will help. It gives you self confidence and helps you feel the love of God in your life. 

Yesterday Hermana Daniels and I taught the Restoration in Spanish 3 times! I am so surprised that we were able to remember and use all of the things we have been learning! The first time we taught for 45 full minutes! In Spanish! And he understood! And we asked questions! And it was a good lesson! We kind of missed the mark and didn't quite understand how to meet his "need"... but we taught in Spanish! The second lesson was only 25 minutes long and the third was only about 15 minutes long. But... it was good! We're practicing lots! It's hard to believe that I'm leaving in less than a month! My departure date is scheduled for January 31st and I'm halfway there! So weird! It feels like I've been at the MTC my whole life and that I will be here forever... but at the same time it feels like just yesterday I was at the Mayan having dinner.

I love you all! I hope my letters help you in some way. I am trying hard to help you share in my experiences here and feel the things I'm feeling and also uplift you all. Know that I love you and pray for you all the time!

Hermana Lauren Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment